© 2019 by Simon A. Callaghan Jensen.

parkfinder...

An application to ease the stress and pain of acquiring a parking spot in heavily trafficked metropolitan areas.
Park Finder allows the users to "switch" parking spots for an agreed upon price.

My Role

Develop and design the foundation of the application, with a functional proof of concept.

Results

The Proof of Concept was successfully created and the design was tested in-car with users.
Android Development, UI/UX Design, Usability Test

I was tasked with the initial conception of the project and had to define the beginnings of the application, including the development of a proof-of-concept functional prototype.

I decided to begin the process by putting myself into the shoes of the users and visualize the entire process of finding a spot, driving to the spot, and finally switching the spot.
I knew from the get go, that everything in the application had to be clearly visible and easy to navigate, as most users would have to use the application whilst driving a vehicle.
Naturally, users would need a birds eye view with something like google maps, to observe the available parking spots. However, they would also need to be able to filter those spots, depending on price, range from their destination, and so on.

Browsing for a parking spot needed to be an easy process of simply acquiring the nearest, best-priced spot, if available.

When the spot would be acquired for the price set by the seller of the spot. The application would direct the user towards the parking spot with it's in-build navigation system, based on google maps.
Taking into account the initial time of the switch, and "what if" the buyer would arrive late or too early. The navigation system would inform the user of this, with the possibility to also call the seller in-app.

When the switch was to be made, the application enters "switch-mode" and the spot is switched. A successful switch is then marked as complete with the ability for both of them to endorse each other for a smooth process.

As I finalized the process, I decided that it was time to test the interface having created a simple interactive design.
The initial usability test was not carried out in a vehicle, but would simply test if the application was intuitive and easy to navigate on it's own.
Users were given a clickable prototype to test out, and the results recorded. The initial prototype was well-received and the results better than expected, with few problems mostly related to it only being a prototype in itself.
However, knowing that the design could not be truly tested until the user would also find themselves in the correct environment, I still used and further developed the application from the data that I collected from the usability test.

As the prototype was completed, a more functional, but limited prototype was developed in Android Studio. The end goal for this prototype being an in-car test of an initial switch.

The functional prototype was taken out for a closed field test, with two potential users that had no prior knowledge of the application.

The field test went rather smooth, with complications mostly rising with the application being hard to read whilst driving a vehicle, suggesting that several elements should be more prominent or recognizable.
With the conclusion of the initial development of the prototype. The prototype could then further be developed and designed upon.
The concept was at go and proven to be possible in practice and not just theory.